Friday, January 9, 2009

Not Just County, but State

So anyways, I finally had a brush with the law. I have to admit, it was a little scary. In all honesty the belt and hat man probably was trained to talk the talk and scare the crap out of people, so I shouldn't take it too personally -but crap I did! He scared me! Turns out Little Miss Nancy is breaking the law, who'd have guessed it?! Kind of like the way registration work in Oz, there is a similar thing here, but rather than a rego sticker, there is a coloured square that goes on the number plate. Basically, Nancy's is yellow when it should be green, and should have been green some eight months ago, oops.

We are driving round Richmond after buying bird seed and I suddenly went 'oh shit shit what do I do, what do I do??!!' without actually informing my two passengers that there was a flashing police car behind me. I guess I didn't notice right away because the guy didn't have sirens! Too bad if I had been blind...wait...after trying to figure out which traffic law I had broken and finally pulling over (all in about 5 seconds by the way), Mr Hat and Belt got out of the car and talked about something called a tag and yours truly gave a blank look and pointed to the woman in the back saying that she was the owner.

After asking for my licence and pointedly telling me I needed an International Drivers Licence, I pointedly told him that the people I spoke to said I didn't because I was only here on holiday. He takes my licence and Nancy's insurance card and walks back to the car. The three of us chat a little, Erin declared she's never been pulled over by the cops in the US and he eventually comes back. This is the part that scares me.

He informs me that he's only going to give Nancy a caution notice on the condition we go first thing Monday morning to get this tag thing sorted. Otherwise if he issues (the equivalent of) a penalty notice, I'll be summonsed to court because I was the driver and if I wasn't in the country when this happened, some sort of warrant would be issued for failure to appear and when I enter the country next, I'll end up in jail. Wholly crap man!! Even if it was all talk talk to scare me, it so totally worked and I was like freaking out! I like the United States, I'd like to come back!

As we drive off, I'm informed I didn't just get pulled over by a County Cop, but a State Trooper. Or someone similar. I suppose if I am going to get messed up in something like that, it's good to just cut out the little man.

No comments: