Sunday, January 4, 2009

Worlds Apart

I always feel that on my "long haul" trips to the US there is always a grace period where I am so swept up in the coolness of being in a new country, that everything is great and new and different and I just accept it as being so without questioning on giving things a second thought. Like most phases, that wears off and suddenly I find myself paying a little more attention to what it is I am actually seeing.

Yesterday, I believe, the grace period ended. Or at least for the moment.

Back in Australia there was usually a clear divide about classes, or about wealth or education. It was rare in 'every day life' to be confronted with someone or some place that was not of your own sort. I know this makes me sound like I am a huge snob, and certainly I do not consider myself a snob, but I'm trying to find the right words to describe what it is I am seeing and this is really the only way I know how. So clear class, education and economic divide. Perhaps it is the region I am in of the States, but I almost feel like I am not seeing that here. There seems to be no line. Though in saying that the people who live here clearly see a divide, especially in education, between Richmond and Irving -where ever that is. There were some jokes being thrown around which seemed similar to those you'd be hearing about Broadmeadows, so I can only really assume these things.

Driving around yesterday it struck me how little divide there is (among other things) between class and economy. I mean its utterly bizarre to be driving along in rural Richmond (of which is comparable in size to Seymour, Victoria) and see beautiful brick homes, well kept and presented with nice cars. Somewhat what you'd expect of middle class, possibly in some cases bordering on upper class. Though again this is using comparable Australian expectancies. And yet right next door there is a trailer (portable home) which barely looks fit for human habitation, surrounded by long grass, old and broken cars and enough rubbish to start a land fill. Right there, nestled between two presentable homes. Its so strange.

What strikes me more is in that yard of what I see as rubble, sits a brand new (or appears to be) car. I just can't fathom living in something that barely looks worth $20 yet driving a car that no doubt has cost something like $30,000 + and could easily house a person in a nicer home. The other day Erin told me that here, everyone needs at least one car, even if it is at the sacrifice of how you live because here, a car is everything. Looking at the non-existent transport system and the sheer fear of walking, I can understand why. But on the flip side of that, you get people who are driving unsafe cars which have body work that is certainly not up to safety standards which have been merely spray painted over and based on the assumption that you can't see it, then it's fine! Yesterday at Hamburg Pavilion a car pulled up beside us with a man, woman and young baby. The bonnet was held down with one of those ropes with hooks on either end that you keep in the car (I so can't think of the name right now!) and one of the back windows were taped up. I felt so sorry for that child. For it's safety. For the fact that its parents didn't value it's life enough to not drive a death trap like that. 'Mom' was talking on what appeared to be a Blackberry (can you even talk on a blackberry??). Dad was wearing a pair of converse runners that certainly would have cost a pretty penny. Either that or both had fallen off the back of a truck which I hadn't really thought of until now . . . .

What I am trying to say is that there seems to be no divide between classes or money or education (which I didn't really touch on). Which isn't a bad thing, it's nice to know that people can mix! Its just that visually is quite unexpected to see.

I just, for a country that on the surface appears similar to Australia, it's quite jarring to experience everyday American life and find that they're a lot further apart than you expect them to be.

I could start on food, but I might just leave that until another day because frankly that'll be another long one full of things I do not understand. I always tell people, following on from my experiences, that if they go to America for a holiday to not just fly in and out of the major cities, rather hire a car and drive across a state or two and see just how different life really is. Because it really is. I have a great respect for Americans in small town, even if I don't really understand why they do certain things. Because more often that not they seem to be miles away from anything and I don't know! I just started writing what I was thinking and I can't structure it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny - I felt that way about Melbourne. There was spray paint everywhere - even in what should have been really exclusive neighborhoods!
But yeah, it's more than that - there's more differences than you excpect, and more than you see until you spend more than a few days.