Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Passing Time

So anyways I wanted something to do to occupy myself. Here's where we are at. We were supposed to leave for our trip to Minnesota this morning. And we will, don't get me wrong! Nancy had a Docs appointment in Lexington (on the way on our trip) and we were going with her and leaving from Lexington. Makes total sense. Its along the interstate we need to go. But no, Erin comes in last night and tells me Nancy is going alone and will come back and get us. Way to lose at least two hours travel time! How stupid is that?! I totally don't understand why, it just doesn't make sense in my mind. Needless to say, I'm awake and have been for a while and am sitting here looking at our bags and just fuming about it because its argh!!!!

Okay, now I've gotten that out.

The trip is passing by incredibly quickly. Suddenly I'm left with about 15 days in the US and freaking out about money and jobs and much uncertainty. This is somewhat normal I well imagine. And in the grand scheme of things I shouldn't worry too much. I have a place to live and some money. So it'll be fine. I guess I'm just sort of idle and am used to going right back to work after a holiday.

Last Thursday we hit the road to Southbend, Indiana to go and see Maggie in her Notre Dame world. And a very awesome world it is too. Great little flat, huge campus and even snow. What more could you ask for? She even has squirrel friends!!! We spent Friday in Chicago which is a much huger place than I initially thought it was. Yes, it looks big on the map but in real life its positively massive. We spent the day in the downtown area which may not sound big, but it really was. Saw Trump Tower and the Tribune Tower, at deep dish pizza at the first pizza place in Chicago, went into Bloomingdales and spent the afternoon out on Navy Pier which no doubt is much more exciting in summer, but I loved in anyways for it's totally random Stained Glass Museum. That and I saw my first Great Lake! Yay!! It was like being on the side of an ocean! Seriously!

The train ride there and back was somewhat interesting. The train wasn't as I expected it would be for a long distance trip. Coming home it was highly entertaining in an annoying way. Two and a half hours with all walks of life. Hmmm.... some stations weren't even stations, there's just a patch of asphalt and that's it!! AND the trains go down the middle of streets! Okay so at home they usually run along the back of houses, behind the backyard. Nope, down residential streets, its down the middle of the road where the cars and things are! Weird!

On Saturday morning we walked around the Notre Dame campus. Area. School. Uni. I'm not sure what to call it. Anyways, I saw Touchdown Jesus!!! Yay! And some very nice looking buildings. Its almost like being transported to Oxford or Cambridge. Anyways, we went into the library and up to the Medieval floor and into the graduate area (you have to know the magic code) and I touched books that were like 700 + years old! I was so scared to drop one!! Oh my gosh!! And they're just there are reference material . . . cripes!

Homeward bound we decided to stop overnight at a place called Nashville, Indiana. It was such a quaint little town! It was great! Met a random person who led us to random place to eat and had the best food ever! Okay maybe not ever, but it was really, really, really good! In the morning we wandered around all the little shops of candy and candles and art and craft and it was great!

Driving back to Lexington I drove Erin mad with my half hour updates of how soon it was we were going to see Jeff Dunham and the last hour was the worst because I think I went totally loopy and insane. However, he was awesome!! The bulk of the time was spent with Walter, Achmed and Peanut (with an appearance by Jose) but at the end he bought out Bubba J because apparently he's a Kentuckian . . .anyways, that was hilarious because everyone in the audience (generalising here) knew the lines!! Plus I now have a very cool Peanut shirt which I'm rather excited about. Two hours of Dunham and Co live, what a great way to spend a Sunday night.

In general we've just been home and seeing movies or finishing up on the house. The last week we were on Tornado watch which was pretty exciting. But nothing eventuated. Nancy tells me I can't talk about Whiteouts because with my track record, we're likely to have one during our time in Minnesota! I can't help it!

1 comment:

tom said...

Thanks for visiting our awesome town of Nashville, IN. We love our guests! We hope you enjoyed your stay and our "random" people and "random" shops and eateries.
Brown County Economic Development Commission