Thursday, February 26, 2009

Closings and Openings

Here I sit with officially less then a week left in the United States. Can someone explain to me where almost three months of time has gone?! Seriously, it feels like only yesterday that we unloaded the van from our trip across the South from Los Angeles. Though maybe that's because we got back from Minnesota yesterday and were unpacking the car . . .

Right, the journey North. It was lots of driving, I know that much! I was actually surprised at the lack of snow we had driving up. Even as we neared Minneapolis the ground was much more visible than I had anticipated. But back a little.

To break the journey we stayed in Bloomington/Normal over night. Which was probably a good thing as three people and a bunch of luggage in a smallish car does not bond well with around 5 hours of driving. I have to admit, nothing eventful happened here. Not that I expected it would.

Night two we stayed in Des Moines with Erin S. On the way we stopped at Iowa 80, the biggest truck stop in the world (or so it boasts) which was kinda cool in a truck stop kind of way . . .We got to the city just before dusk and Erin showed us around the Living History Farm where she works. It was so cool! If not dark and a little cold too. But I really enjoyed it and was fascinated with her job there. We met all the animals (alive and dead . . .) and saw into all the buildings including the 1900s house where they hold dinners off season. Note to self, must go back and experience this!

After unloading at Erin's apartment, we ditched Nancy at her hotel and the three of us headed downtown for dinner and a little entertainment. What I do remember about Des Moines was the very cool library that was glass and quite see through, as well as the numerous walkways above the roads from buildings to buildings. We ate at a place whose name I can't remember, but it had dueling pianos which was pretty awesome. I managed to make a fool of myself by falling flat on my face after misjudging the distance from the stage to the floor. Oh wells, its not like I am ever going back again!! Anyways, I requested Men at Works 'Down Under' which I have to admit to really enjoying!

The next morning after a stop at Starbucks, we hit the road again aiming for Duluth, in North Minnesota. It wasn't until we were an hour or two away that we started seeing the sorts of snow I was expecting. After stopping at the traditional half way mark, Toby's, for doughnuts, we arrived in Duluth after dark. As we pulled into the street where Nancy's sister lives, we spotted deer just sort of wandering around the neighbourhood! I was so excited! I would imagine that's the image everyone has of Australia, only substituting the deer for Kangaroos!

That evening I met the first new family member, cousin Valerie. Despite not meeting her cat Bijou, I feel like I know the cat too! It struck me as amazing as to how similar Erin and her cousin are. It was during conversations that Betty's Pies came up.

In the morning after Mickey Mouse shaped waffles for breakfast, Erin and I went out into the snow and had lots of fun. Only I wasn't able to make my giant snowball as it was the wrong kind of snow. However, it was the most snow I'd ever played in so I wasn't complaining one bit! Erin made a cave for Sealy and I managed to break the end of a pipe. So it was all eventful. When we came in we talked about the plans for the day before heading back down south to Minneapolis. And here, Betty's Pies were talked about again.

We piled into the car with Kay and headed out to Lake Superior which was frozen! It was so awesome! Because of the wind and current, the ice was sliding along and snapping and crunching and it was amazing! It was so cool! Seriously, it was great. I even picked up one of the bits of ice and it was like a huge sheet of broken glass, thick and clear and really heavy. Getting back in the car to defrost a little after my experiences with my second Great Lake in less than a week, we continued the journey North to Two Harbours and a destination I'd heard lots of talk about. Yes, Betty's Pies. And I can tell you, after trying several types of pie, I can so tell you it's totally worth it! That stuff is the best pie ever! And I had a scrumptious pasty too! I was a very content Aussie after that lunch I can assure you!

What I love most about the morning was driving along the lake and the scenery and the snow and the sun, it was just so wonderful and I think I started to fall in love with Duluth and the surrounding areas. I can totally see the appeal!

That afternoon Nancy rode with Kay so it was just Erin and I in the car down to Minneapolis. By the time we got there, it was dark, there was snow falling and it was like driving in fog. We're on the interstate and having a really hard time seeing the lines on the roads. It was really kind of scary. But we made it, safe and sound. And there at the end of it, were Erin's Grandparents! It was so good to see them again!

No comments: