Sunday, March 15, 2009

Jetlag and Beyond

Here I am a month and a half into job hunting, a week and a half into living in London and a day and a half into battling the blues. On the upside, it’s sunny out. Which is a nice change. Hopefully it shall stick around. And I think the jetlag has finally gone.

It’s been a big week and a half, an emotional rollercoaster unlike anything I’ve felt in a long time. In saying that, no one panic. I’m fine and probably experiencing somewhat normal emotions under the circumstances –it’s just not something I’m too accustomed to dealing with! At times I hear Sally’s voice in my head ‘Just keep smiling’ and more often than not, it gets me through. However, that’s not working so I need someone else’s words of wisdom!!

Being home in London the city has been nice. It started coming back from Heathrow and sort of continued into the rest of the week as I ventured in to Leicester Square for a job interview, wandered Oxford Street and shopped in Camden Town and out at Brent Cross. It’s an odd feeling to describe, but it was like coming home and meeting familiar friends. Seeing the somewhat mix match of fashion, the crowds, the setting up of movie releases, watching people shuffle on buses and the Tube. Comforting and familiar. I have to admit it has been nice. And exciting.

Thursday night I went to the Ceremony of the Keys which happens each night at the Tower of London. It’s basically the locking up and has been happening for over 700 years now. The entire ceremony only takes 7.5 minutes to complete, but is so worth it. I think there is something special about standing in the darkened grounds of the Tower of London at the clock strikes ten, as the guards go about business as usual and as a lone trumpeter plays The Last Post as a gentle breeze flaps around the British Flag. Something historically magical.

Settling into home at Pax Lodge has been a challenge. Some things have changed, some have stayed the same. I’ve struggled somewhat this past weekend as move familiar faces descend on the building to celebrate the 18th birthday of Pax Lodge. It was lovely seeing Janet again, rather surprising to find Doreen wandering through the HA corridor late at night and humbling to meet again with various Friends of Pax Lodge whom I am sure are going to live forever, even if it’s just in the hearts and minds of those who’ve met them. Yet despite all that, I have been incredibly lonely these past few days.

Yes, I miss my Erin. Having a constant companion for nearly two years now and on and off before that has found me less able to deal with my own company. Not that it’s a bad thing mind! Being back in a building that holds many memories for me . . . watching the volunteers interact with each other . . . it reminds me of the friendships I made here and looking back between the two time periods, it is not hard to understand why I feel a little on the lonely side.

In saying that, the current staff and volunteers are lovely. I can honestly say that. They’ve been lovely and welcoming and chatty which I have appreciated a lot. Last night I even got to venture into the social room, Finland, which once was home to Priyanka and later, Shanna. So it was a little odd but such a nice set up! They even have a little fridge in there for the keeping of beverages!

A new week has started though. Its Sunday, the Holy Day. For me, just to stick to a routine of some description, means doing my laundry. Joy! Monday brings the promise of a call about a job (wait, wait, and waiting) and the next round of applying for more. It brings me a day closer to my next theatre show, closer to the summer and closer to seeing old friends too.

Writing this I realise I am still to talk about the remainder of my trip North to Minnesota! How slack am I?! You’d think with all the free time I have on my hands I’d be tap-tap-tapping away to share the adventure with you all! And so maybe I shall . . .

. . . Upon arrival in Minneapolis visibility was bad. What I loved most about my few days in the Minnesota Twin Cities, was getting to know Nancy’s (and Erin’s too I guess!) family. My favourite moments were meal times, it’s rare for me to have a meal with 10 people sitting around a table, but with a family of eight children, I should image it was normal for them! I loved it! Seriously. The project for those few days was to sort through lots of old photos and documents from passed members of the family. I touched documents and photos that were over 100 years old, it was simply amazing!

Also coupled with that was a trip across the border to River Falls, Wisconsin to visit Wendy from Canada. It was lovely to see her again and finally get to see her slice of heaven. And heaven it was! It was just wonderful! We went snow shoeing which was a very new experience for me and I learnt lots about the prairie work being done in her area. Next time I plan to stay longer and explore the area a little more.

Coming home from Minneapolis, we stopped in Wabasha (yes home of Grumpy Old Men!!) and visited the National Eagle Centre and I got to see a real life Bald Eagle and hold some of it’s feathers. I can tell you one thing, I’d not like to come under attack from one of those birds!

No comments: