Tuesday, December 9, 2008

From Hollywood to Anaheim

Right now I sit at the desk of our hotel room in the Paradise Pier Hotel which is a part of the Disneyland Resorts. The weird thing is that I am near an air vent and I can hear a baby crying. I'm hoping that my theory that it's travelling up from another room is correct and that there isn't actually a baby in the venting system.

Phew, it's tiring being a tourist! Yesterday we spent day two in Los Angeles, though it was really day one of sightseeing because the day prior to that we stayed mostly in just to try and get our heads in the right time zone. So we made the journey out to Hollywood Boulevard, just on an hour on the train system which in itself is rather interesting and has been creating using good space between the direction lanes on the highways as opposed to having a median strip down the middle. At least they didn't have to clear more land. Los Angeles is an interesting place, and much more Spanish feeling than I expected it to be. Kinda old too. As for Hollywood Boulevard, it wasn't what I was expecting. Much more old and seedy than you would think. In the grand scheme of things its not all that glitzy and there are lots of people trying to give you maps to famous peoples home. I think I stand by my initial thoughts of Los Angeles back in 2001, it's not really a place I'd come back to. It just doesn't feel right.

However, it was fun pointing out the names on the stars even if we didn't see all 2000 of them! Graumans' Chinese Theatre was pretty amazing, some of the hand and foot prints are a good two or three decades old. There were people out the front dressed up as Batman and Elvis and a few others. Just there for the tourists really. I can't imagine what the place would be like in the summer when traffic through there is much higher. What a nightmare.

Heading back into downtown, I made a pilgrimage to a place called Casey's Irish Bar and Grill which for most people means nothing. However, for my Phile friends this is the bar that was used in filming several scenes in Fight the Future. OMG!!! We stayed and had a beer and dessert and I took photos and was all in awe of it. It was just so . . . surreal but totally mega cool and Erin got me a shirt for Christmas which was just the bestest thing. Again, it'll me nothing to the average person walking along the street who sees me in it, but as for me . . .score!

Night two at La Quinta was a quiet one with some early dinner (ohh Taco Bells for fast food Mexican) and a viewing of Mrs Doubtfire which was on TV. That and some totally old school Family Feud which I haven't seen in many years and never the American version.

This morning I woke the others up in order to get moving. We had to change hotels and get out to Anaheim (where the Disneyland Parks and Resorts are) and get into California Adventure!! I missed going there back in 2001 so I wanted to go this time around. I was very impressed with my efforts. We were on the bus from LAX to Anaheim at 9:30. Go me.

California Adventure is kinda like Disney in the city. It's not quite Disneyland, and has some cool stuff in it, but its missing something. However, went on a super cool roller coaster twice (one in daylight, one in twilight) and the log rides and all sorts. Did a little shopping, took a few photos (not as many as you guys would think) and just walked around a lot. It was kinda busy, but again certainly nothing compared to how the summer would see it.

We had to walk through the Grant California Resort in order to get to the guest entrance to the resort. Of my gosh it was like walking into a real Alpine Resort. It was stunning. Seriously. Our hotel is ocean themed and even the little bottles of shampoo etc have black lids on them which have Mickey Mouse ears sticking out the top. Its very cool. Am over hearing Christmas Carols all ready, and Americans talking at me is such a jarring experience. I think I'll be glad to get on the road and get away from big city America.

In saying that, tomorrow we head into Disneyland. The actual original park. It'll be good. This time round I think I'll be a lot more conscious and less tired and up for a bit more fun! We can actually see the fireworks from our hotel out on the swimming pool balcony with the cool water slide. Which reminds me, I was going to try that out!! I'm outta here!

No comments: