Saturday, December 13, 2008

Land of Scenery

Desert has been a running theme the past few days. After leaving Vagas it felt like we drove through miles and miles of it, because in all honesty, that's what we did. The excitement came when we discovered that we were to cross the Hoover Dam which I have to admit was very cool indeed. Busy, and cool too. They're building a bridge across the gorge (if that's what it's called??) and Nancy was rather excited about that. Erin just thought she was insane. I just wanted to take a photo knowing that one day it would be a famous landmark.

Sometime later into Arizona we realised that we were in a spot of bother. We were running out of fuel!! I tell you what, for a nation which thus far has blown my mind with the number of exits on the interstate and the sheer number of gas stations and take out places you can find on those exits, it was some 100 miles until we came to a gas station at Kingman in Arizona! I can tell you, that great van pulled into the place on the smell of a rag. OMG it was freakin scary! Though in there I managed to run over a tumble weed which was rather atmospheric I have to admit. The desert just isn't the desert without tumble weed.

Gassed up we continued onto the next great destination. The Grand Canyon. With a late start and several stops under our belt, we didn't arrive in the National Park until after dark. However, I saw the most stunning sunset I have ever seen. It was simply stunning. I saw a beauty I've never seen before, it was magic, really it was.

This morning, Saturday morning, Nancy and I were up at 7am to take a short walk to the South rim of The Grand Canyon to see the sun come up. Having not see the Canyon the day before, I really wasn't sure what to expect. But it took my breath away. It was freezing, I tell you that much! But silent and open and just . . .WOW. It was well worth it and just so beautiful. I can't even put it into words. It left me breathless. Quite literally.

An hour later we got some well needed warm coffee (oh so good!) and returned to the room. We spent the better half of today going to various look out points across the Canyon, stumbling upon a wedding in the process! Fancy getting married on the edge of the Grand Canyon! Seriously, if you only go one place in Arizona, let it be there. Amazing. Beautiful. Stunning. Breathtaking. Around Noon we found Desert View and caught a glimpse of the Colorado River and the freezing air around it.

Hitting the road again, we went through more desert, this time more like what I was expecting to see. The wind was insane though. The strongest I have even encountered in my life. We stopped at a Native American Indian roadside stall type of thing and the wind nearly broke the door off its hinges. driving further along still, we spied a sand storm in the distance which was rather cool. We drove through Navajo and Anasazi area and finally into Flagstaff where we ran into snow! It was awesome!! It snowed for quite some time after that and was bitterly cold, obviously. Arizona has been such a stunning state to drive through and we'll see more of it tomorrow. I think we've spent all the drive (or at least 90%) in Arizona at an elevation of 3000 feet or more! Seriously!

This evening we're settled in Phoenix, where we arrived after dark, yet again. As darkness fell it was pointed out that there were fork cactus out there in the darkness. I so hope we see some tomorrow!! It's a long day on the road, our longest so far. About eight hours we think. So tonight we shall sleep well, get an early night followed by an early start. So I should be off!

No comments: