Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It is just hair after all

This morning an odd thought occured to me. Okay, so maybe not perhaps a thought as such, more like an observation. Hair is such an odd thing. I mean, it's just there. Some people have long hair or blonde hair or grey hair or curly hair. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't do much other than hang.

Perhaps its my sudden release from having hair which makes me think this way. Today marked my first journey into work on the train since having my head shaved. Yes, while there is a week of growth up there, it's still a rather striking style to have. Despite all my efforts to become totally engrossed in my book (I suppose it's not all that brilliant after all) I could still feel people looking. And that is an odd feeling too. Even if you can't see people looking at you, sure as anything you can feel it. I wonder what their thoughts were? Some people at work were afraid to ask about the hair in case I was terminally ill or something.

So as I was sitting there, trying to read my book and trying not to feel people looking, I couldn't help my eyes wandering off the pages and just sort of looking at people's hair. Not their faces, their hair. I should imagine there were a few people who felt me looking! But as I was sitting there I came to realise it really has no purpose other than to help us with our vanity. I mean really it has more hazards than advantages when you think about it. Its not like it will help you with the washing, or drive the car for you, nor offer to pay your bills. It's just this coloured thing on your head. A sitting, hanging, swaying thing.

No comments: