Friday, May 23, 2008

The Week From Hell

And it really has been. Right from the word go, I suppose my biggest issue has been with work, to the point where I want to quit. Seriously, I have spent the last day and a half thinking about chucking it all in and going to do temp work. The jury is still out on that one. I want to calm down before I go making any rash decisions.

I just thought that after five years working for Vic Pol I'd have a little credit on my side. But alas no, I was wrong and am bewildered as to why that surprises me. I mean come on, I have been watching other people. I know what's happened to them. I guess my time was coming sooner or later.

For what it's worth, I don't have any more answers that I did yesterday. Some people have made some complaints about me and I've not a clue why. I mean, what was said was that the reminder e-mails I send out bug people and get their panties in a knot. The other was a complaint that someone has given me work that I have not done. erm, excuse me? I make sure I do everything, at least within a day if its not pressing and I have a lot on. I went through my desk today and could find nothing that needed doing. Went back through e-mails to find the same result. So what the hell is it that I haven't done?

Then to top it all off, I'm pretty much told I cannot take leave because there is no one to replace me. I had a sick day last week and took this Monday off. It was all pre-sorted. A person had told me that they would fill in for me. I turn up for work on Tuesday to find that wasn't the case. Then Thursday I get pulled into the bosses office and told all I was. So basically, because the department is under staffed, I can't take leave because there is no one to fill in for me. Should I wish to take leave, then perhaps I ought to find another department to work for which can accommodate my time off. I can't believe it! We're talking about two days, and as far as I was concerned, I had made sure that my absense would not go unmanned. It's not my fault! I am being penalised because of the department being under staffed! What's that about?

I have always prided myself in my work. I make sure things are done in the appropriate time. I am polite and always make sure if someone wants something, I go above and beyond what is required from me with nothing more than a paycheck every fortnight. Not even the odd thank you. I almost feel that what they are after is someone in a short skirt who works like a hog, keeps quiet and follows orders. So in that manner of thinking, why should I stay and put up with that? I surely can get treated the same way elsewhere and be getting paid more.

It really hurts, I have to be honest. It hurts that after all the energy and sweat (quite literally) that I put into my job that I can have someone turn around and say the things about me/to me that they did. I thought I was worth a little more than that.

I do have Rebecca coming this weekend, over from New Zealand and I was supposed to have Monday and Tuesday off. That of course is now not happened. I hate it. And what can I do about it? Nothing, because I am just an admin, unsworn person who really has no standing nor voice about anything. In addition to that, we've now been asked to do some of Finances work. What gives? I all ready look after a floor of 75 people over two work groups, like my life isn't complicated enough?

Anyways, I came home a few moments ago to find a card in the mail box from Erin S. The sheer brilliance of my Pax Friends makes life just so much more tollerable. At the end of the crap week, here I find a card with squirrels and a nice friendly note in it. I almost burst into tears.

No comments: