Monday, June 2, 2008

Oh Gee, no wonder!

So Erin has a pal coming in July from the US. Maggie, I am not sure I have mentioned this. Anyways, she (as well as Erin) wants to go to Sydney so I went ahead and booked for the weekend of Erin's birthday (17-21st July). All hunky dory, got some pretty descent flight prices. Then I started to look for accommodation. Tried and tried and unless we wanted to pay like $1000 for four nights, we were getting nothing.

Its at this point you should ask yourself, I wonder what is going on in Sydney that week/end to make it so hard to find descent accommodation? I know I was, but couldn't think of anything.

Sunday morning we're hunting online for accommodation again and finally got a hold of someone who had one room left for three people. Perfect. He made a comment about picked a great weekend to come and I was all like "why, what's going on?" and he laughed and told me that the reason for the higher cost of accomoodation (what was left) was because of a PopeTax (it was a joke mind you) and it suddenly dawned on me.

We are going to be in Sydney four days during the Youth Day Summit thing where at least 125,000 International guests are expected to swell to Sydney for the Pope's visit. Wholly crap! I sure can pick them! I'm such a dumbass!

No comments: