Monday, April 7, 2008

Home Away from Home

This morning was such an odd morning coming to work. It's the first day of daylight savings coming into winter, thus for the first time in a while there was enough light around to see the outside world. As I rode down St. Kilda Road on the number 64 tram, as I watched as the mist slithered through Domain Gardens, I spied many skeletal trees and dog walkers. I cam to realise that the scene I was seeing reminded me ever so much of London in the winter.

I have good days and bad days when it comes to being homesick for a city I lived a mere 14 months in as opposed to 22 years of my life. I can't explain it. I know of others who as well can understand this feeling, but can explain it no better than I can. There is something special about London. About the vibe and the life and the culture and the people. And indeed about the city itself. So sitting on the tram this morning I came to feel that today is a homesick day. They come around every once in a while and for the most part they pass without causing too much heartache. Still, what I wouldn't give to be back there again, if only for a moment.

Perhaps I should take up Astral Travel and have an out of body experience in London. That would work, while I sleep here in Australia, it would be daytime there. I could ride around on the buses, and walk along the Thames, chill out at the Tube stations and catch a glimpse of a film being made or a theatre show coming out. Watch as the leaves dance in the Heath and as the buskers entertain. I could watch a vivid and coloured patch-work life evolve and life and breath and beat and move.

Indeed, it is a homesick day.

No comments: